Monday 18 April 2016

I Am A Conqueror



Hi everyone,
How many of you out there are Empire fans? Did you manage to catch the episode in Season 1 where Jamal sang the best duet ever with Delphine? Both the song and performance simply blew me away. But if you’re not an Empire follower and have no clue what I’m talking about, let me back track a bit.
Empire is an American TV musical drama series which centers on a hip hop music and entertainment company, Empire Entertainment. When Lucious Lyon, the founder and CEO of Empire Entertainment learns that he has a disease that is going to incapacitate him in three years, he is bent on grooming one of his three sons, Andre, Jamal or Hakeem to take over the company. Complications arise when Cookie, Lucious’ ex-wife and co-founder of the company, is released from prison and wants to reclaim her rightful place in the company.
The show has a wide variety of music that incorporates Empire’s themes and plotlines, thanks to Timbaland, the show’s executive music producer. But what many fans (and yours truly) consider its best song yet has to be “Conqueror”. Performed by Jussie Smollett (who plays Jamal) and British singer-songwriter Estelle (as Delphine), “Conqueror” is a beautiful duet that will be stuck in your head forever once you hear it.
The lyrics are as powerful as its melody ("I'd rather stand tall / Than live on my knees, / 'Cause I am a conqueror, / And I won't accept defeat") and Estelle’s voice is perfectly in sync with Jussie’s oh-so-gorgeous vocals (no wonder Columbia Records couldn’t wait to sign him!). Together, the two singers make up an extraordinary and moving combination.
But hey, don’t just take my word for it; check out the music video yourself. I have a feeling you’ll be hooked big-time!
For Malaysian viewers, you can catch the latest episode of Empire Season 2 on Astro Star World channel 711 on Thursdays 9pm or Sundays 10.05pm.
Lotsa Luv


No comments:

Post a Comment