Sunday 22 March 2015

My Pregnancy Supplements

Hi Everyone,

I am currently at the last leg of the race - currently 36 weeks along and during my last check-up, my little one is weighing 2.8kg and as for me, please don't ask how much weight I have put on throughout the pregnancy. It's kinda scary.

Throughout my pregnancy, I received a lot of do's and don'ts advises from people around me it is kind of difficult to keep track with every single one of them - some of them are contradicting as well like how one friend would say that watermelon is "cold" and "could potentially cause baby to have skin rashes" and another friend would say that taking watermelon daily can actually "give you a beautiful baby"

So to me, the easiest way out is always to try my best to eat healthy and frequently (hence the weight gain) as well as keeping in mind that "moderation is key". Throughout my pregnancy I reduced my fast food intake but I do not totally avoid McDonalds and my favourite Maggi Sup Tulang altogether. I have not been eating Sashimi not because they're raw but because I find raw fish disgusting ever since I got pregnant. Sashimi used to be one of my favourite food and I have them almost once a week before I got pregnant. Other than food intake, I also keep myself busy. I dragged myself to work everyday even on days when I feel like crap and immerse myself in work and keep myself and my mind busy through the day. It is my way of distracting myself from worrying and having negative thoughts. I also try to keep active, continue doing house chores though I keep the heavy lifting for the husband or for my weekly cleaners. Besides trying to eat healthy and keeping active,  I take supplements daily and include certain "habits" in my daily diet.





During my first trimester, my doctor prescribed me with Duphaston due to my previous chemical pregnancy history and after I hit my second trimester I was prescribed Obimin, Neurogain and Calcium Lactate tablets to eat once daily after meal. 




Once I began my third trimester, I started taking Virgin Coconut Oil in the form of capsules (because I can't stand the smell of liquid form VCO). From my online research, VCO is beneficial for both baby and mommy. It helps the body in preparation for birth and breastfeeding as well as provide vital nutrients and calories for the body. Lauric acid found in coconut oil and breast milk has been found to have antiviral, antibacterial and parasiticidal (kills parasites) properties that support proper immune function. This may help to protect your and your baby’s health in pregnancy. The benefits of lauric acid continues on during lactation, as those benefits are directly passed to your baby through your breast milk. Breast milk is comprised of about 20% lauric and capric acid, these help to protect your baby from illness.





One of the superfood that has been mentioned in the Al-Quran to be very beneficial for expecting mothers is dates. You can read all about the benefits of dates during pregnancy here. I normally eat 3 dates every morning together with a small box of Dutch Lady's milk to start the day. I also packed a box of dates in my hospital bag as they're really useful in giving the mother energy during labour.







I also try to drink Coconut Water every so often and I try to increase the frequency of taking Coconut Water as the pregnancy progresses. One of my friend advised to start drinking Coconut Water daily after 38 weeks. Coconut water has detoxifying benefits and it is believed that if you drink coconut water often towards the end of the pregnancy the baby will come out very clean without the gooey thick white liquid that usually covers the baby at birth. I am a Coconut Water lover so I definitely have no complaints about drinking loads of Coconut Water.





A colleague who is also pregnant recommended the Earth Mama Angel Baby Third Trimester Tea. I normally add some honey with my cup of tea and I have them every once in a while at the office. It is 100% organic and contains raspberry leaf which is believed to function as a uterine tonic and helps the body prepare for pregnancy. It is also 100% caffeine free so if you're a coffeeholic perhaps and you're in your third trimester, perhaps it's time to swap that cup of morning coffee with this delicious tea!






I will be going for my Maternity Leave in 2 weeks time, one week before my Estimated Due Date to just relax at home, catch up on some last minute reading and preparation for the baby as well as to pack for the temporary move to my mom's place during confinement. I may also have more time to blog but ultimately I have no control over when the baby is coming out, so please do keep me and my baby in your du'a.


Till Then, 
Liv

2 comments:

  1. I am delighted to come to such a wonderful blog. I am really very impressed to read from top to bottom. I read every single line and understand the essence of every single word. I appreciate all efforts.opleiding eigen bedrijf starten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nutrients found in food work together to nourish you in incredibly complex ways. It's like a symphony with hundreds of players. And often enough, when we try to isolate nutrients, we miss out on powerful health benefits. Kratom powder

    ReplyDelete