Wednesday 21 January 2015

It's Not Rocket Science

Hi everyone,
When Liv and I decided that we would start a blog together, I was super excited. I’m the kind of person who has an opinion on everything (yeahh, I’m annoying that way!), so a blog would be a cool place for me to share my thoughts with others. But I didn’t realize it would be this HARD, guys….If you haven’t noticed, ever since this blog was born,  Liv has been the one coming up with posts (such a show-off that girl, hehe).

It’s not that I don’t have anything to write about. There have been countless times when I’ve said to myself, hey, this topic would make a great blog post. But when I sat down at my keyboard, the words simply just wouldn’t come. If there’s such a thing as a novice blogger’s block, then this must be it. *sobs uncontrollably*

So after the tears have dried up for the umpteenth time, I gave this blogging thing some serious thought. I’m guessing the reason it’s soooo difficult for me to write is because I’ve been approaching it all wrong. Maybe what I need is a more structured approach to blogging. I should start by knowing what makes great blog-writing.

I turned to my BFF, Mr. Google and lucky for me, he had a lot to say. So I’ve picked the top 8 tips that resonated most with me and shared them here. Hopefully they will come handy to those of you who are thinking about writing your maiden blog post:

Tip #1: Start With A Great Title
Very important tip since the title will determine whether your posts will be read or not. You need to grab the reader’s attention in the first instance and a great title will help you do just that. So if you guys want to know what’s behind the title of this post, read on. *winks*

Tip #2: Blog From The Heart
Ask yourself, what are you passionate about? Is it fashion, travel, sports, or everything else in between? Pick a subject that you enjoy and pour your heart into it. If like me you are interested in a lot of things, then I suggest you blog about a different topic each time.

Tip #3: Write Like You Talk
This is a great piece of advice. If you write the way you speak, your readers will feel like you are having a conversation with them and this helps you build a better connection. It’s ok to use a little bit of slang or informal English occasionally if it makes your writing more relatable.

Tip #4: Make It Entertaining
I like this tip a lot. Some of the more well-written blogs I’ve come across have the ability to engage their readers through humour and wit. If what you’ve written puts a smile on someone else’s face every time, then they’ll keep coming back for more.

Tip #5: Use Pictures
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Make your blog visually attractive by using pictures to illustrate what you are writing about and enhance the reading experience for your readers.

Tip #6: Consistency is Key
It is entirely up to you to choose the frequency of your posts but decide on something reasonable and stick to it. If you are inconsistent and your readers have to wait ages for your next post, you will risk losing them.

Tip #7: Be Responsive
Encourage your readers to provide feedback or comments. When they do comment, respond to their comments and keep the interaction going. Use your blog as a platform to reach out to your readers and build a sense of community.

And last but not least…..

Tip #8: Practice, Practice, Practice
A great skill takes time to grow and this holds true for blog-writing. Don’t expect to be an overnight success but if you keep at it and not give up, you’ll get there some day. Learn from other bloggers, develop your own style and make mistakes along the way. After all, this is blog-writing, guys, not rocket science....

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to put the tips to the test while you guys check out these hilarious cartoons on blogging. ‘Till next time, byeee!

Lotsa Luv















No comments:

Post a Comment