Wednesday 21 January 2015

Part Time MBA Survival Tips

Hi Guys!

I am so happy to share that I will soon be graduating with an MBA degree! Can you believe it? After 2.5 years, I can finally say that my postgraduate studies are behind me! (And now, I can focus and channel all my energy for my baby).

I started my MBA degree on a part-time basis in September 2012 at a local public university. specifically chose this university because:
  • I am an alumni – did my undergraduate Engineering degree with this university so I am very familiar with the system and environment;
  • It is the ONLY public business school in Malaysia to receive an international accreditation from The Association of MBAs (AMBA).  Accreditation is very important, especially for an MBA program. It seems to me that these days every Tom, Dick and Harry can graduate with an MBA but it is the accreditation that sets one program apart from another; and
  • The university offers weeknight classes instead of weekend classes. When I decided to take up Master’s degree I made it a point that I will not sacrifice having a “decent” life for the next 2 or 3 years of my life.  I wanted my weekends to be free. I didn’t want to miss any of my friends’ weddings, family gatherings and other important events so I’d rather exhaust myself from work and study during weekdays than having to work on weekdays and attending class on weekends.
The classes were from 6.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. on weeknights and the frequency depends on student’s flexibility. Students are given between 1 .5 years – 4 years to complete 51 credit hours (10 core subjects, 5 elective subjects and 1 research project). Because I wanted to complete the whole course within 2.5 years, I spent 3 weeknights (usually Mondays to Wednesdays) attending classes every semester.

Boy, doing an MBA on a part-time basis when you have a full-time job IS NOT an EASY TASK! However, at the same time, it is also NOT IMPOSSIBLE. If you are thinking of doing a part-time MBA, or currently pursuing one, read on for my version of Part-Time MBA Survival TIPS...

  • Have a Positive Mindset and Understand Your Goal
Juggling work and study is NEVER EASY and most of the time it is very tiring too. Before you embark on this journey make sure that you understand your goal and purpose to take up an MBA – be it for career advancement, personal accomplishment, or whatever your life goals may be. You should always stay motivated, keep positive and have a strong will to pursue them. If you don’t have any of these, there is a high possibility that you will drop-off mid-way and never finish your MBA.


  •       Make Sure Your Boss Supports Your Decision To Pursue Post-Graduate Studies

I do not suggest taking up a Master’s degree behind your boss’s back because there will be times when your work and study obligations may conflict. You may need to leave early from work on certain days, take time-off to attend an important presentation, or you may need to take a couple of days off to prepare and sit for your final examinations. Hence, it is important that your boss understands and fully supports you throughout your MBA journey.


  • Get Financial Aid
An MBA course from a public university usually costs around RM25, 000- RM30, 000. The fees may double if you opt for private university. There are plenty scholarships available out there to help you fund your studies and save you from painfully forking up everything out of your own pocket. Some of the options available are:
    • My Master
    • MARA
      • MARA offers convertible loan to help you finance for your studies. The loan will be converted to a scholarship if you graduate with CGPA above a certain threshold. Do checkout MARA website for more information.
    • Corporate Scholarship/Education Assistance Program
      • Most companies offer scholarship/education assistance program for their employees. Talk to your Human Resource Department to find out if you can leverage from the scheme.
    • Other Scholarships
      • If you’re not interested in the first three options listed above, you may visit Pendidikan Malaysia website to checkout all other available scholarships for Postgraduate studies.

  • Buddy Up and Make Friends with your Seniors!
It is important that you have a strong support system to keep you motivated throughout the program and the best way to get support is from those who are currently experiencing the same predicament or from those who have experienced it before you do! So make sure you have a few good buddies where you can share notes, study tips, ask questions, who can help you catch up on classes you missed, or to simply rant about stuffs. It helps to have somebody who understands what you’re going through. 

Seniors on the other hand, have been through it before. Therefore, they are your most useful source to obtain sample assignments, past year questions, second-hand books, and give you tips and tricks on how to score for a certain subject or manage a difficult lecturer.

  • Don't Study At Home
I get too distracted when I study at home. There are always the TV, the fridge, the internet and other forms of distractions at home. The best way for me to study is to get away and study with a couple of friends somewhere where there are minimal distractions, peace and quiet. Some of the places you can go around Klang Valley to study are:
    • Sasana Kijang Knowledge Management Center
      • My favorite place to study is Sasana Kijang Knowledge Management Center. They're open only on weekdays, the facilities are well-maintained, and it is not like your typical library - you don't have have to leave your bags outside and allowed to bring in food and drinks. They have comfortable prayer room as well as a couple of cafes for when you're feeling peckish. 

    • Perpustakaan Raja Tun Uda, Shah Alam
      • Located in the same compound of Kelab Golf Shah Alam. Opens from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m. on weekdays and until 9 p.m. on weekends.

    • KL Library
      • Beautiful view of KL City, but reeked the smell of old books.

    • Kinokuniya Cafe
      • On the second floor of Kinokuniya Bookstore, KLCC. Can be noisy around lunch time


  • Know Your Limits
Understanding what are your life’s constraints and knowing your limit will help you pace yourself. Some of you may have young children and other family commitments, some of you may have flexible working hours and have to travel often for work, or some of you may work in a company where the hours are crazy especially when datelines are near. Once you know your limitations, you will be able to determine how fast or how slow your pace is in completing the MBA. Some may prefer to take only 1 or 2 subjects in a semester and spread the whole course over the maximum allowable limit or some may want to complete the MBA as soon as possible. From my experience, you must also be smart enough to not take all the difficult or killer subjects at once. Always combine tough subjects like Economy with “lighter” ones such as Information Systems or Ethics. This way your load will be more balanced and this may also increase your chances to score an A!

The past 2 and a  half years have been a roller coaster ride for me. In between those years, I changed jobs, fell in love, got married and got pregnant! There have definitely been times when I question myself, “What were you thinking?” or “Why do you do this to yourself?” But at the end of the day, knowing that that I have worked very hard, pushed myself to the limits, and overcame all the challenges that come along the way, I can now say that, it has been worthwhile and it is an indeed a rewarding experience.

Before I end my post today, I will leave you with the magic quote that kept me going all these while...

"There is no such thing in life as sacrifice, there is only choice"

Till then, Good Luck!
Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment