Wednesday 14 October 2015

Swiss-Garden Hotel & Residences Malacca

It has been ages since I last set foot in Malacca so I was super-excited when we decided to make an overnight trip to this historical city.

As usual I had turned to my BFF, Agoda.com to find suitable digs for our stay. Since Malacca is a hot spot for tourists, there are numerous hotels in this city, but the 4-star Swiss-Garden Hotel & Residences Malacca tickled my fancy, mainly because it’s new (built in 2014) and its strategic location. Close to the city center and various must-see attractions (Malacca River Cruise, Jonker Walk, Taming Sari Tower, etc.) the hotel is adjoined to The Shore Shopping Gallery.

Finding the hotel from the PLUS Highway Ayer Keroh exit was a breeze. If you are not a fan of Waze, just look out for the signage to The Shore and you’ll reach the hotel within 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Parking was available free of charge in the mall with direct access to the hotel from Level 3A where we parked.

There were only 2 counters opened at the time so it was quite a long wait in the queue for check-in

I had booked the Deluxe Room at RM254.55 (without breakfast) from Agoda for our 1 night stay. Note that hotels in Malacca are required to collect a RM2 Heritage Charge per room per night which is to be paid directly to the hotel at check-out.

The standard check-in time was at 3 p.m. but we had reached the hotel earlier than expected and wanted to see if our room was ready. Unfortunately, the room I had booked was still being prepared but it was a blessing in disguise since we got upgraded to the Deluxe Plus room which came with a bath tub. Yeayy!

Our room was on the 16th floor with a balcony overlooking the Malacca River and Kampung Morten, a traditional Malay village which is also a tourist attraction.

The view from our balcony where we could see the Malacca River Cruise boats going up and down the river. The red roofed houses are part of Kampung Morten.


Love the warm earth tones that offered a relaxing ambiance


The glass wall in the bathroom – pull the blinds down for complete privacy



The edges of the glass top working desk may be a potential hazard especially to families with young children



LED flat-screen TV (with satellite channels) and DVD player. The DVD player has a USB port so you can bring along a USB drive pre-loaded with your favorite movies. In-room Wi-Fi is also available free of charge



Coffee/tea-making facilities cleverly tucked away 



How many hotel rooms you know come with a bathroom scale!



The water playground on Level 9 – kids (adults included) will simply love this!


Guests enjoying the mini Jacuzzis. The glass-paneled cube overlooking the pool is the fitness center - cool, right?


One of the 2 swimming pools - also on Level 9


For dining options, there are 2 restaurants in the hotel - Garden Terrace Coffee House and the Sky Garden. 


There are also a few restaurants in the mall including Nando’s, Seoul Garden, Sushi Zanmai and La Bodega. We didn’t get to try any of the restaurants in the hotel or the mall since we wanted to have our lunch at Asam Pedas Selera Kampung Restaurant in Mahkota Square, which is known as THE place to go to for authentic Malacca-style “asam pedas” (fish cooked in sour and spicy gravy). 

For dinner, we headed to Medan Ikan Bakar Muara Sg. Duyung which is a haven for delicious fresh seafood dishes especially grilled fish. You need Waze to find this place which is about 20-30 minutes drive from the hotel but totally worth the trip! When you return to the hotel and if you are not completely pooped after a long day out, soak up the evening air and take some nice photos against the backdrop of the colorful fountain right outside.

Our room did not come with breakfast so the next day, we bought some pastries from Starbucks which is located on the ground floor of the mall. The mall does not open until 10 a.m. but you can get to Starbucks (which thankfully is opened by 9 a.m.) by following the sidewalk right outside the hotel lobby. There’s also a ‘mamak’ restaurant (Seri Sahabat) within 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel – just ask the friendly and helpful hotel staff for directions.

After breakfast, you can burn off the extra calories by taking a stroll on Boardwalk – a pedestrian footpath for visitors to walk along the riverline. Just be mindful of your steps since the timber boards are not that well maintained with broken or uneven areas.

Within the mall, there is the departmental store TANGS and other outlets if you fancy to do some shopping. You can also check out The Shore Oceanarium or go for a Sky Tower experience.


The world’s longest aquarium tunnel, longest coral reef aquarium and also South East Asia’s first 360-degree view aquarium tunnel. You wouldn’t want to miss that!


Check this out only if you are not scared of heights

Overall, our stay at the Swiss-Garden Hotel & Residences Malacca was very enjoyable. The only downside we experienced was the long wait for the lifts. At 42-storeys, the hotel is the tallest in Malacca, but there were only a limited number of lifts to cater to guests. Since we were there on a weekend, we sometimes had to wait for at least 10-15 minutes before the lift arrived and when it did, we could hardly get in (imagine the stress of trying to cram into one tiny space alongside a family with young children, a baby stroller and a few pieces of luggage!). 

Apart from this, our stay at the Swiss-Garden Hotel & Residences Malacca was a fantastic one and we will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to our family and friends.

Overall Verdict:
Location: 9/10
Hotel Ambiance: 9/10
Room Comfort: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Value for Money: 8/10

Add: T2-4, The Shore @ Melaka River, Jalan Persisiran Bunga Raya, 75300 Malacca, Malaysia
Tel: +606-288 3131
Fax: +606 288 3377
Email: resvns_sghrm@swissgarden.com
Web: www.swissgarden.com/hotels/sghrm

Lotsa Luv

52 comments:

  1. These kinds of Search marketing boxes normally realistic, healthy and balanced as a result receive just about every customer service necessary for some product. Link Building Services see this page

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of publish appears to get yourself a lot of visitors. How will you acquire traffic to that? It provides a great unique twist upon issues. I guess having something traditional or perhaps substantial to give info on is the central aspect see this page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this excellent article. One other thing is that a lot of digital cameras come equipped with the zoom lens that enables more or less of your scene to get included by means of ‘zooming’ in and out. All these changes in concentration length are usually reflected while in the viewfinder and on significant display screen right at the back of the specific camera. visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta favorite this site it seems handy very helpful why not try these out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated! browse around this website

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now we know who the ssebnile one is here. Great post! why not try these out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this website. additional hints

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. florence residences

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work. Bonito Residences

    ReplyDelete
  10. Normanton Park by Kingsford Huray. Hotline 61009266. Get Discounts, Direct Developer Price, Brochure, Floor Plan, Price List & More. Former Normanton Park HUDC. Normanton Park

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. building aqua blu For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  12. We provide one-stop service from design to installation for your project. If you are lack of import experience, it doesn’t matter, we can handle shipment and customs and deliver products to your door even for one piece order. Diy Parade Float

    ReplyDelete
  13. First and foremost, solar post cap light are incredibly cost-effective. Unlike traditional lighting solutions, solar post lights rely on completely free solar energy. Once you make your first purchase, there are no ongoing energy costs or maintenance fees Solar Garden Lights

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spot on with this write-up, I virtually enjoy this brilliant internet website on line desires an extended way more hobby. I’ll oftimes be over again to look masses extra, thank you that records.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thumbs up this music higher than justin bieber all about cash

    ReplyDelete
  16. I conceive this internet web page has some damn terrific facts for all people : D.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone’s skipped this critical principle. Your questioning is essential in assisting me with my have a observe. Thanks a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello I can be therefore excited I located the website, I appreciably determined you by means of danger, at the identical time as I were exploring upon Google concerning a few different detail, Anyhow I is probably proper here in recent times and will probable want to element out cheers to get a high-quality positioned up plus a all-round interesting weblog (I furthermore actually like the real topic/layout), I don’t have sufficient time as a way to browse it all in the second however I very own stored that and furthermore delivered your very personal Bottles, as quickly as I definitely have time I am returning to observe a protracted manner extra, Please do maintain the certainly exquisite method.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I located your internet net page internet web page on yahoo and check numerous of your early posts. Keep the fantastic carry out. I presently more inspire RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking in the route of analyzing an prolonged way more from you locating out at a later date!…

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you of this blog. That’s all I’m able to say. You actually have made this web website into an item thats interest establishing similarly to crucial. You simply know a awesome deal of approximately the niche, youve blanketed a multitude of bases. Great stuff from this the main internet. All another time, thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice internet website online! Better than others I actually have these days examine addressing this particular. The layout is certainly pleasant, mind if I copy this particular? Just kidding?-Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AvaTrade can only trade cryptocurrencies via CFDs. However, trading the underlying asset (purchasing Bitcoin ) is possible. Cryptocurrency CFDs are not permitted to be traded by UK residents or retail traders. trezor model t avis

    ReplyDelete
  23. Regularly assess the performance and consistency of the exchanges you employ for arbitrage. Trade downtime or specialized dilemmas can have a primary affect on your own trading activities.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I’m impressed, I must admit. Genuinely not regularly have to i encounter a blog that’s both educative and awesome, and truely, you have got hit the nail to the top. Your perception is top notch; the trouble is an element that now not sufficient everyone is speaking intelligently about. We’re satisfied that I stumbled throughout this inner my try to find a few difficulty regarding this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing this superb write-up. Very inspiring! (as continually, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  26. An interesting dialogue is probably priced at comment. I do believe you must write in this subject matter, it would certainly be a taboo difficulty however commonly human beings are too little to speak on such topics. Yet some different. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is fairly massive cash to understand this. I count on you’ve made certain outstanding points in competencies additionally.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic blog! I dont think Ive seen all the angles of this example the way youve pointed them out. Youre a true well-known individual, a rock superstar man. Youve were given plenty to mention and feature plenty of knowledge about the issue that I anticipate you ought to honestly teach a category about it…HaHa!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It’s unique page, I end up seeking out a few detail like this

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have become real pleased to discover this internet site on line on bing, in reality what I became looking for : D likewise saved to my bookmarks .

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello, I located your blog in a completely new listing of blogs. I don’t examine the manner your net web web page got here up, want to have been a typo. Your blog appears correct, have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. There are loads of cheap home safety gadgets that you may buy on line these days, i'm capable of find out most of them from ebay`

    ReplyDelete
  33. Think about the duty implications of one's crypto arbitrage activities. Based on your location and local tax laws, you may well be necessary to report and pay fees on your gains. Consult with a tax skilled for guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am satisfied that I noticed this site , just the right statistics that I become searching for! .

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loving the records in this net site , you have got performed notable interest on the posts .

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello there, You’ve finished a brilliant interest. I’ll definitely digg it and in my opinion suggest to my buddies. I am effective they’ll be benefited from this internet website online.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for deliver superb informations. Your internet site is goodI am inspired by way of the information which you have in this blog. It shows how properly you apprehend this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for added. You, my buddy, ROCK! I decided just the facts I already searched anywhere and simply couldn

    ReplyDelete
  38. Maintaining detailed records of your arbitrage transactions is essential for duty conformity and monitoring your trading performance.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am hooked on computer video video games this is why i purchased a gamecube for me and my brother,,

    ReplyDelete
  40. This first rate positioned up typically get a wide selection of guests. Find out the way to promote it? The situation gives a incredible one-of-a-type turn concerning topics. Just perhaps developing factor sincere and / or pretty a few giving facts about is the primary occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You blog is truely magical. Reading thru it is in fact an revel in.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Youre so cool! I dont assume Ive read anything much like this prior to. So great to find out someone with some particular utilizing for grants this situation. Realy thanks for starting this up. This appropriate net website online are some things this is needed on-line, an man or woman with a piece of originality. Beneficial assignment for bringing some thing new to the net!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Incredible this help is certainly remarkable it sincerely helped me plus our children, recognize it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love the remark on this net website online, it absolutely offers it that community experience!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am frequently to running a blog i genuinely apprehend your content material cloth. Your content material has sincerely peaks my interest. My aim is to bookmark your net internet site on line and hold checking for brand spanking new facts.

    ReplyDelete
  46. The forged is quite excellent, the rest of the movie no longer lots.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The the following time Someone stated a weblog, I am hoping that this doesnt disappoint me round this one. I mean, It have turn out to be my choice to examine, however I in fact concept youd have something interesting to united states of america. All I listen is simply a handful of whining approximately some thing you could recovery if you ever werent too busy looking for interest.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I have to display my affection to your kindness supporting men who actually need help with this particular area. Your personal dedication to passing the answer up and down appears to be significantly beneficial and characteristic constantly encouraged ladies like me to obtain their pursuits. This exciting guidelines suggests this lots to me or maybe greater to my place of work workers. With thanks; from every body.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sometimes your weblog is loading slowly, higher find a higher host.`*-;`

    ReplyDelete
  50. I find myself coming to your blog more and more often to the point where my visits are almost daily now!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Spot up for this write-up, I must say i think this outstanding internet site desires a good deal greater attention. I’ll more likely over again to see a ways more, thanks for that statistics.

    ReplyDelete